South Wales Rep Required!
Updated: Dec 12, 2018
Expressions of interest sought from people with a learning disability for the position of South Wales representative of the Learning Disability Ministerial Advisory Group (LDMAG)
Expressions of interest are invited from people with a learning disability living in South Wales for the position of representative on the Learning Disability Ministerial Advisory Group (LDMAG).
This position is for a person with a learning disability who lives in South Wales.
What will I do?
Provide advice to Welsh Ministers on things that affect people with learning disabilities in East Wales.
The group focuses on:
· Health (people with learning disabilities don’t get the same health outcomes as everyone else)
· The Social Services and Well Being Wales Act
· Improving Lives Strategy
Venue for the meetings:
Cardiff (usually Cathay’s Park but sometimes in Cardiff Bay)
How much time will it take?
The group meets 4 times a year.
You will need to prepare for the meeting. You will need to speak to other people with learning disabilities so you can represent their views and issues on the agenda items at the meeting.
Some of LDMAG’s work will be taken forward by sub-groups which will meet separately from the main group.
Support for the post
The Welsh Government has agreed to provide support for this post through All Wales People First.
This means we will make sure you have a support worker based in South Wales. We will pay the support worker, or the organisation they work for,£800 a year for supporting you to do this role.
From time to time we will check that everything is working well for you.
Do I get paid?
The post is unpaid but you can claim expenses for you and your support worker. These are
Travel expenses and the costs for an overnight stay with an evening meal included. There is a maximum of £95 each a night for bed and breakfast and up to £27 each for dinner.
You will need to provide the Welsh Government with invoices and receipts as proof of costs.
How to apply
Please write to us (by post or email) telling us why you feel are good for this position.
You should say something about the following things:
· Your confidence at speaking up at big meetings (you should talk about other big meetings that you have done before)
· Your understanding of the issues facing people with learning disabilities in South Wales (You should talk about other meetings you go to that show how you gained that understanding)
· Your interest in what the Welsh Government does
· That you have enough time to go to EVERY meeting. (You might want to choose a deputy who could cover for you if you really cannot attend a meeting.)
· That you can prepare for the meetings before you go.
· That you take members issues or concerns from South Wales to the LDMAG.
We would like this information by 6.00pm on Friday 22nd January 2019.
All Wales People First will decide who is appointed as the East Wales representative.
We will write to everyone who applies to let them know if their application was successful.
We would like the successful person to be available for the next LDMAG meeting in March.
If you are interested please write to:
All Wales People First
61 Caerleon Road
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org